Do you have a passion for writing, digital media and independent world travel? Do you want to connect with other South Asian travellers worldwide?
Desi Globetrotter is looking to build an international team of contributing writers for our global travel blog geared to independent, tech savvy South Asian travellers from Canada, US, India, UK, Australia and beyond. With India’s outbound travel market set to grow to a staggering 50 million by 2020 and with 25 million South Asians living across the globe, this niche, untapped market is looking for targeted travel content.
You should be an avid traveller and writer, someone who enjoys exploring cultures, writing about the journey and the destination and someone who challenges themselves while on the move to their next destination–whether on a two week trip or on a round the world journey all while writing about travel through a South Asian lens (when relevant).
Ie) Did you see that Amitabh Bachchan movie in the souks of Morocco? Or a Sikh Gurdwara while travelling in Argentina? Hmmm….doesn’t that Turkish Gozleme taste like a parantha?
[title]Who is Desi Globetrotter[/title]
Desi Globetrotter is an international travel blog connecting South Asians passionate about independent world travel. Since launching in 2012, Desi Globetrotter has been rated in the Top 500 List of Indian Blogs for 2013-14 and featured on AsiaRooms.com, Mybindi.com, Masalamommas.com, Huffington Post Canada, Matador Travel Network and Everywhere All The Time.
Desi Globetrotter’s Editor and Founder, Parm Johal, is a Vancouver-based freelance travel writer with articles published in Conde Nast Traveller India, Huffington Post Canada and South Asian Woman Magazine.
[title]Desi Globetrotter Features[/title]
• A chance to connect Indians globally who travel for culture, exploration, and adventure and who are looking to connect with other like-minded travellers.
• A focus on lifestyle travellers, budget travellers, luxury travellers and flashpackers (indie travellers with disposable income, not afraid to splurge from time to time) who stay at lifestyle branded hotels and boutique accommodations around the world and who tend to book their own itineraries.
• Short term and long term international travel and work abroad, study abroad and expat stories.
• Stories that share the experience of the journey, along with the destination.
• Personal travel tips and destination guides from places travellers have actually visited – including topics on food, airlines, places to stay and explore.
• Locations both on and off the beaten path.
• Inspiration for arm chair travellers–those who wish to travel, but feel they can’t afford to or think they don’t have the time.
[title]Who We’re Looking For[/title]
Motivated writers/bloggers who:
• Travel independently and internationally atleast once or twice a year or more – solo, in a group, as a couple or with a family.
• Have a passion for exploring cultures beyond resort walls and love sharing travel advice and tips, writing travel stories and the pros and cons of travelling – keeping it real and honest.
• The ability to write for a South Asian audience.
• Have various styles of writing – from real, authentic, from-the-heart confessional type writing to funny, witty stories, interviews or Top 10 type lists about travel.
• Pitch and contribute original travel stories for monthly online issues
• Compile images for online stories (with copyright permissions)
• Editing, fact-checking, copywriting
• Promote articles through social media
• Be a part of a team, take part in regular online meetings and contribute ideas to build the Desi Globetrotter brand.
• Submissions should be between 250-1000 words using Microsoft Word and must be submitted with clear photos, fully captioned. Photo essays are also acceptable with appropriate captions.
[title]Experience + Skills Required[/title]
• Connect with the Desi Globetrotter lifestyle – independent, authentic, experiential, cultural travel geared to tech savvy South Asian global explorers.
• Experience writing and blogging for online media publications
• Experience travelling internationally
• Have excellent writing, grammar and proofreading skills
• Experience using social media
• Organized, able to meet deadlines and detail oriented
• Can work independently and remotely
• Have your own computer and internet connection
•Looking to build a career in digital publishing and travel writing.
• Build and expand your writing portfolio
• Inspire people to travel the world
• Learn about digital publishing
• Have a chance to work with travel brands who want to partner with travel bloggers
• Gain experience with a growing digital travel brand geared to an untapped, niche travel market.
We are looking to build a team of regular Desi Globetrotter contributors. Please email the following information to email@example.com with “Contributor” in the subject line:
1) Where you’re from
2) Why you would like to contribute to Desi Globetrotter
3) Last three places you have travelled and when
4) Type of travel stories you’d like to write about
5) Links to relevant writing/editing samples and social media links
6) Your availability.
Those qualified will be contacted by the Editor with more information.